Where To Eat, Drink And Stay In Florence
Florence is without a doubt Italy`s most enchanting city, with some of the most famous art in the world, a beautifully romantic setting, shopping hub, and delicious restaurants and charming bars. You can reach the lovely Toscana countryside in less than half an hour. We sat down with local Simonetta Sancristoforo Cattaneo della Volta, who has been living in the city for many years.
After 8 years in London, where she worked at art galleries and auction houses, Simonetta returned to Florence two years ago and is now in charge of communications for the Ferragamo estate Il Borro, an hour south-east of Florence. Here she shares her favourite haunts around her home in the Tuscan capital.
Where to eat
IL SANTO BEVITORE
- Via di Santo Spirito, 64/66
- Reservations (+39 055 211264)
- Piazza Ottaviani, 16
- Reservations (+39 055 214179)
- Via del Porcellana, 25
- Reservations (+39 055 212691)
OSTERIA SANTO SPIRITO
- Good for Lunch
- Piazza Santo Spirito, 16
- Reservations (+39 055 2382383)
- Borgo S. Jacopo, 57
- Reservations (+39 055 212427)
Il SANTINO WINE BAR
- Right next to Il Santo Bevitore
- Piazza Santo Spirito, 9
- The roof top terrace
L'ANGOLINO DI LORENZO
- Via del Romito
- Reservations (+39 055 463 3335)
- Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci, 22
- Reservations (+39 0039469 048 1)
- Open Tuesday to Saturday from 12.00 to 23.00
- Sunday open for lunch from 12.00 to 16.00. Closing day: Monday
GELATERIA LA CARRAIA
- Piazza Nazario Sauro, 25
OFFICINA PROFUMO - FARMACEUTICA DI SANTA MARIA NOVELLA
- Via della Scala, 16
- Plants its roots back to 1221
- Piazza de' Pitti, 1
- Piazza degli Strozzi
- Right in the heart of the city, this is the best place in Florence to see contemporary art and traveling International exhibitions.
- Piazzale degli Uffizi, 6
- One of the world's most famous museums is renowned for its collection of art from the Middle Ages.
When to go
Avoid July & August, when it can get very hot and packed with hordes of tourists. Visit during spring months or in September and October.
Stay south of River Arno in the hip neighbourhood Santo Spirito (Oltrarno) with it's artigianal shops and local bars.
Where to stay
The Place Firenze is one of the most luxurious hotels in the Tuscan Capital, situated in one of the most magnificent piazzas of Florence, within walking distance to all major sights.
Palazzo Guadagni, with its unique Loggia, is an iconic landmark of the Oltrarno, the most vibrant and characteristic neighbourhood of the city. Situated at the upper floor of this ancient Palazzo built in 1505, Hotel Palazzo Guadagni is characterized by spacious and beautifully decorated rooms with antique furniture, frescoed ceilings, fireplaces and gorgeous views onto the main monuments of Florence.
Velonas Jungle A sumptuous hideaway surrounded by the most iconic art, and architecture that Tuscany's capital has to offer. The ten suites are perfect for curious travelers who love discovering unusual and unforgettable accommodations, meeting warm local hosts, and experiencing the authentic side of Florence.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.