Lech am Arlberg, Austria
Hotel Schmelzhof Lech
The Schmelzhof, run by the Strolz family, who have been in Lech for several centuries, is a place defined by its warmth and soul and a true family affair: Robert and Gitti take the reins, with their son Arthur presiding over the bar and restaurant and even ‘Grossmutter’ taking your coffee order in the morning. It’s this multigenerational passion and generosity that keeps their guests returning year on year to Schmelzhof.Check availability
- The rooms at the Schmelzhof range from basic doubles to the vast Schneeflocken suite. One of the best options are the Atelier rooms, which mix style, value and their own mountain-facing terraces with felt-clad sleigh beds, cosy sofas and floor to ceiling windows. The rooms and suites are individually furnished with great attention to detail. Noble materials and stylish furniture create real living dreams. The individual design of each room and suite is precisely what makes the Boutique Hotel Schmelzhof so uniquely charming and welcoming.
- Schmelzhof Spa (400 m2) with Finnish sauna, sanarium, brine steam bath and infrared cubicle. In the two massage treatment rooms Liam and Silvester soothe you into a state of deep relaxation. The spa area also includes a tranquillity room with comfortable loungers and another room for chatting, enjoying a cup of tea or a glass of fresh fruit juice, or simply reading the newspaper.
- The Schmelzhof is a real children's paradise. The large playroom in the basement offers everything that children could want: a huge selection of toys and books. Game consoles and even a children's cinema. While a nanny takes care of the little ones, you can sit back in peace and really enjoy your vacation.
- Lech is a serious ski destination. Thanks to the Flexibahn lift that opened recently, there are now 305 km of piste for you to explore, plus you can ski all the way to St Anton and back without taking a bus (unless you want to, of course). In the evenings, after some Apres-ski - either at Hotel Krone or on Schmelzhof’s own sun terrace - it’s about discovering more food. As well as a brilliant Raclette at Hus 8 (book ahead), our favourite find of the trip was Flexenhausl: where you can guarantee everyone will be dancing on the tables after you’ve gone through your hot oil meat fondue.
Wine & Dine
- With loving attention to detail, it is Grandmother who takes care of the breakfast buffet. You’ll be amazed! It has everything your heart (and stomach) could ever wish for – from freshly baked local bread specialities to freshly cut fruit. And scrambled eggs don’t come any better than here – you’ll see!
- From homemade apricot jam using fruit from Austria’s Wachau region, to fresh milk and yoghurt directly from local farmers, to warm, crusty rolls from the village baker.
- Enjoy yourself on the terrace of Schmelzhof in the afternoon. From noon to 3.00 pm it’s Bistro Time! No matter if your hunger is big or small – fine salads, the SCA pasta or the delicious Schmelzhof burger will do the trick.
- All those who value a special atmosphere during dinner will love Gittis Esszimmer, the à la carte restaurant at boutique hotel Schmelzhof. The comfy parlor panelled with local spruce and the warm tiled fireplace are the perfect framework for wonderful evenings. Gittis Esszimmer celebrates classic Austrian cuisine and creative international ideas like stars. The menu is extremely diverse. Aside from sweet dishes, fish, meat and vegetarian dishes the different fondues and Raclette dishes guarantee an enjoyable evening. And fine wines from magnum bottles will go perfectly with your dinner. And a perfect evening should of course end with a fine drink at Blaue Bar. It is also a place where stories are told while the barman cuts paper-thin slices of San Daniele ham on a Berkel from 1933 to serve to his guests.
- Lech and Hotel Schmelzhof in particular are very family-orientated but really it will suit anyone, from couples to groups of friends wanting to avoid St Anton-style party crowds.
- As cosy and comfortable as you please
- Rooms from €160 per person in a double room on half-board basis
The Hotel Schmelzhof is quietly located and is only about three minutes' walk from the town center. From the large sun terrace you have a view of the wonderful Lech mountains. A cross-country ski run and a winter hiking trail lead past the house. With your skis on right in front of the hotel, you can reach the valley stations of the Schlegelkopf lift and the Rüfikopf cable car quickly and easily.
Guaranteed snow, world-famous hospitality, tradition and a tranquil yet sophisticated ambience. For more than a century now these assets have been luring winter sport enthusiasts from all over the world to Lech. Located at an altitude of between 1,450 and 2,800 metres above sea level, the winter sport Mecca is a member of “Best of the Alps,” a cooperation of 12 select resorts. However, it’s not only sport enthusiasts who appreciate the area – Lech also has lots to offer for those who enjoy walking, fine dining and cultural activities.
- Rud-Alpe, Schlegelkopf, Lech
- Schneggarei, puristic cottage for Apres ski, Schlegelkopf valley station, Lech
- Apres-ski - either at Hotel Krone or on Schmelzhof’s own sun terrace
- Hus Nr. 8 - brilliant Raclette (book ahead)
- The one and only Strolz, sports & fashion, centre of Lech
- If you are a good skier start your day in Oberlech, over the 'Rüfikopf' you reach Zürs, head back to lech via the 'Madloch' and get some tan at the burg's terrace in Oberlech
How to get there
- By car: During the winter months, please check the up-to-date road conditions and ensure that your car is equipped appropriately. At times snow chains are compulsory. Free parking spaces next to the hotel.
- By rail: The train station in Langen am Arlberg is easy to reach whether you’re coming from the direction of Innsbruck, Zurich or Lindau.
- By air: The closest airports are Innsbruck (a one-hour drive) or Zurich (a two hour drive). Arlberg Express runs private transfers as well as shared shuttles for up to 15 people from both. Find out more here: arlbergexpress.com
- Electric car charging point ‘Porsche Destination Charging’.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.