Salento, Puglia, Italy
Palais Gentile offers a unique stay in an authentic and charming palazzo, situated in the centro storico of the small town of Matino in the Salento region of Puglia.Check availability
Two Deluxe rooms: Enjoy your stay in our deluxe rooms with a view of the old street of Matino. Each room brings together Puglian architecture with authentic arches and handmade art from local artisans. Featuring: coffee maker, boiler, mini bar, air conditioning, safety box, Bluetooth radio, complimentary water, in-room bathroom amenities, Frette linens.
Two Suites: The spacious suites feature Puglian arches and are framed by magnificent windows. The suites can accommodate two adults and two kids. Featuring: coffee maker, boiler, mini bar, air conditioning, Frette linens, Bluetooth radio, complimentary water, in-room bathroom amenities by Salvatore Ferragamo.
What's the story
- "Originally from Italy and France, after having lived in several European countries, we decided to look after a destination where we could enjoy the sun, the beach, the food and simply have a happy and authentic life. We choose Salento, an incredible region in Puglia to start our story! The project was originally to build a family house where we could meet, celebrate and have fun with family and friends. Then we decided not to keep only this Palazzo for us but to open it to anyone who shares our values. The renovation of the Palais took one year and we made our best to keep all the original stones and materials to deliver the authenticity of the house. We worked with local artisans to bring the local “savoir faire”, we also added our personal touch with elegant vintage decoration and an art collection. Palais Gentile is your new home in Puglia." Carolina, Aurélien & Matteo.
- The hotel’s committed to recycling and reducing plastics use, and rooms have showers rather than baths to save water. During summer months, solar panels generate most of the electricity.
- The hotel is home to some of the owner's personal art collections, in particular from young artists, as well as masterpieces of local artisans and handicrafts from the surrounding villages and cities.
- Breakfast is served with local and regional ingredients and delicacies on their panoramic rooftop.
- Sunset aperitivo: Enjoy Salento wines, taste local taralli, and don’t miss the fabulous sunset, it will probably be one of the best memories of your stay.
- There’s no restaurant at the hotel, though Foscolo is a few doors down. More in our Local Guide.
- Dolce far niente.
- Rates start at EUR 160 per room.
Location & setting
- Ideally situated in Matino, an authentic Puglian village in the countryside, the Palais Gentile is located in the old town and offers the best of the Salento region in Puglia at your doorstep. The Palais is also perfect to explore the unmissable cultural treasures of the region: it is a 40 minutes’ drive from the magnificent Baroque city of Lecce, also referred to as ”the Florence in the south", just under two hours from Alberobello and two and a half hours from Matera.
- Spend the day on Catamaran or go sailing. You can surf or kite the nearby waters of Puglia.
- Unwind on the stunning beaches of Salento.
- Cooking classes can be organised.
- Hiking in Matera.
- Rent a vintage car and explore Puglia.
Where to dine out
- Indulge in an exceptional experience of refined Italian cuisine at Foscolo. In the heart of the old town, you can savor the local and regional flavors. Whether for Italy's famous aperitivo or a nightcap after dinner, the Foscolo cocktail bar will not disappoint with its wide selection of cocktails that you can enjoy with views of the historic center of Matino.
How to get there
- By air: Palais Gentile is an hour away from Brindisi International Airport and two hours from Bari International Airport.
- By train: The closest station is at Matino, but it’s very small and services are sporadic. Lecce’s station is around 40 minutes drive.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.