Kleine Scheidegg, Switzerland
Bellevue des Alpes
The Hotel Bellevue des Alpes ranks among the few remaining grand hotels of the nineteenth century. The Kleine Scheidegg lies amid alpine splendour at the foot of the iconic Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau at 2070m above Grindelwald and Wengen in the heart of the Bernese Alps. As the centre of the ski and hiking region, it is also the direct starting point to the Jungfraujoch, the highest-located train station in the Alps.Check availability
- The hotel features 100 beds, all come in classic design and magnificent mountain views.
What's the story
- As one of the last grand hotels of the 19th century, the family-run hotel has been managed by the 5th generation of Andreas and Silvia von Almen's family since 1998. The building, the interior, and its guest list are steeped in history, while the hotel is also famous for being the location where "The Eiger Sanction" starring Clint Eastwood and "North Face" was filmed. Built in 1840, the Bellevue des Alpes was last extended and renovated in 1948. Since then, any restoration carried out has focused exclusively on stylistic elements. All the interiors of the hotel's public spaces date back to the 1920s, while the rooms invite a little time travel. All the great mountaineers of the 20th century as well as celebrities from society, skiing and the film industry have stayed in this hotel.
Wine & Dine
- 4-course dinner and breakfast buffet is served in the sumptuous dining room.
Ski in & Ski out
- The ski in & ski out convenience of the hotel affords easy connections to the many lifts and cable cars in the Jungfrau region that covers Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren.
- Wes Anderson!
- From CHF 460 including the 4-course dinner, breakfast buffet, service and VAT.
- The Jungfrau region is known for having some of the most extensive and varied skiing in Switzerland. With over 200 kilometres of ski runs from challenging black runs for experts to plenty of easy reds and blues for novices and intermediates making it ideal for families and all grades of skiing ability.
- In winter, the hotel is the ideal starting point for the family-friendly ski region of Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen with 110 km of predominantly easy to medium-difficulty pistes, and the renowned World Cup piste on the Lauberhorn. The neighbouring ski areas of the Jungfrau region, Grindelwald-First and Mürren-Schilthorn are also easily accessible. The clean air, the long hours of sunshine – especially in winter – the toboggan runs and around 50 km of winter hiking trails also serve to attract non-skiers to the sunny resort.
- Over 500 km of marked walking trails and 15 mountain cableways in the surroundings lead to the most beautiful vantage points of the Jungfrau region; take for example the classic panorama route between Wengen and the Kleine Scheidegg, which offers up a particularly impressive view of the rock massif of the mighty Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. The Kleine Scheidegg is a convenient starting point to travel up to the Jungfraujoch. Strongly recommended is the Eiger Trail hike at the foot of the Eiger north face as well as the scenic panoramic walk from the Männlichen over to Kleine Scheidegg, with its view down to Grindelwald and across to the Wetterhorn.
When to go
- The hotel is open from mid-December to mid-April and from mid-June to mid-September.
How to get there
- You can only reach the Hotel Bellevue des Alpes on the Kleine Scheidegg in summer and in winter with the Wengernalpbahn. Kleine Scheidegg is car-free. There are two different routes: From Lauterbrunnen via Wengen to the "Kleine Scheidegg" station. Or from Grindelwald to the "Kleine Scheidegg" station.
- There are good train connections to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald via Bern-Spiez-Interlaken, Brig-Spiez-Interlaken or Lucerne-Interlaken.
- By car you drive via Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald Grund. Parking is available in Lauterbrunnen in the multi-storey car park or on public parking lots, Grindelwald Grund offers outdoor parking spaces. There is also a multi-storey car park at the railway station in Grindelwald Dorf.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.