Palma di Montechiaro, Sicily, Italy
Azienda Agricola Mandranova
Mandranova, farm and resort, located on the hills of Palma di Montechiaro in the province of Agrigento, not far from the archaeological site of the “Valle dei Templi” and from the sea, is a perfect hide-away with a garden of palm trees and african plants. They offer a stay of well-being and tranquillity in the rustic simplicity of the ancient farmhouse and in the renovated rooms of a an old train station and an old winery. The “gebbia”, formerly used for agricultural irrigation, has been transformed into a small but beautiful swimming pool where you can cool off from the heat of the summer.Check availability
15 rooms & suites: in some, the original family furnishings make them warm and genuine, typically Sicilian; in others design and tradition blend harmoniously with the surrounding landscape.
All rooms are very comfortable, equipped with heating and air conditioning.
The little square infinity pool (once an irrigation tank) is perched on a hillside above the farm, with views of the olive trees and fields beyond.
The “Robazza” is an independent villa, surrounded by olive trees, distant 300 meters (a few minutes walking) from the Casale, the main house. This beautiful self-contained villa used to be the estate’s winery. It has been fully restored and modernised in a harmonious blend of old and new. Stone, cement and plaster are the materials used for the restoration. The house is surrounded by olive trees reflecting in the private pool; from the terrace you can enjoy an unparalleled view over the olive grove across to the sea. Robazza consists of 2 ensuite double bedrooms and a twin bedroom. It benefits from its own private infinity pool and an outdoor sitting and eating area with built in charcoal barbecue. It also has a large open plan living room with a small kitchen with stove. The property is available for weekly hire, from Saturday to Saturday, with an option of using the facilities of the main house, such as breakfast, dinner, cookery classes, etc.
- Families, couples seeking for romance, groups of sophisticated friends
- Rates from € 149 / night. Rates include breakfast.
84 Rooms Special
- A complimentary olive oil tasting.
Good to know
- Mandranova is your Sicilian home. You can cook with the owner, they can help you to define interesting itineraries and organize your special event, such as wedding, anniversary or birthday celebration.
- The Farm: On a hill, a few miles from the sea, there is a green oasis where a selection of native young olive trees grow in our olive grove, as well as some which are several hundred years old. All are individually irrigated. Here they produce extra-virgin olive oil, almonds and conserves that are expressions of their land, their sun, their Sicily.
- Their new meeting space, that comes from the former olive oil press, blend a mix of industrial architecture, design and technology. It is possible to host up to 50 – 70 people.
- Mandranova structures in the months of May/June and September/October two programs of residences, inside its structure, dedicated to international mid-career artists. The project, curated by Maria Chiara Valacchi, promotes research and study stays in an area steeped in valuable environmental, scenic and historic/architectural features encouraging new productions in the fields of visual arts and promoting the exchange between the artists and the country.
Wine & Dine
- The Mandranova restaurant is where co-owner Silvia serves up traditional Sicilian dishes such as torta di mandorle (almond cake) and timballo di anelletti (Sicilian ring pasta with peas and aubergine), all made with fresh-from-the-garden ingredients.
- Tapenade, local cheeses, Sicilian wines, bread and of course, olive oil can be brought to your room between 9am and 8pm.
- Experience all that Sicily has to offer with one of our excursions, whether guided tours, itineraries off the beaten track or a pleasant day trip on our boat including lunch. Discover a different Sicily with them.
- A visit to their olive grove and olive mill allows you to experience the secrets of world class extra virgin olive oil production.
- The “Olive Oil Tasting” will make you discover the world of extra virgin oil, the importance of it, and give you unexpected emotions.
- They offer daily cookery classes in their main kitchen. It starts at 11:00 a.m., end at 1:30 p.m. followed by lunch of what you cooked. They would like that guest take an active part in the creation of the menu, that you can choose among the Sicilian traditional recipes. Vegetables are picked in the garden and other ingredients find locally, such as the delicious Ricotta cheese, the fresh fish catch into Licata’s bay and of course their own extra-virgin olive oil and almonds. You will leave with unique memories and new recipes which represent their ancient culinary tradition.
- Within easy reach you can explore the Roman mosaics at Piazza Armerina’s Villa del Casale (1h 20min) or the archeological sites of Selinunte (1h 45min). Caltagirone (1h 20min) of pottery fame is not far, nor are the beautiful Baroque towns of Ragusa (1h 50min), Modica (2h) and Noto (2h 30min).
- They are located in a very history rich part of Sicily, a 20 minute drive away from the world famous Valley of Temples at Agrigento, 5 minutes from Palma di Montechiaro, where Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa drew inspiration to write his masterpiece “The Leopard”, “Il Gattopardo”. Here the film with the same title was set, staring Burt Lancaster and Claudia Cardinale.
- The location offers easy access to the southern coast with it’s stunning beaches of Scale Dei Turchi and Eraclea Minoa.
How to get there
The hotel is two and a half hours from the airports in Catania and Palermo.
From Catania Airport by car Take the SS417 towards Caltagirone, then Gela and Licata. From Licata take the SS1 15 towards Agrigento. At the KM216 marker (alter Licata) turn off right on the exit signposted for Campobello di Licata. As you come off the slip road take the first right turn (almost immediately alter exiting). This road is not signposted (in fast Mandranova is signposted in the opposite direction), but leads you upto the “old” SS115 running parallel to the main road you’ve just exited. Continue for 1 km and you’ll see the white walis and gates of the Mandranova on your left (again not signposted). Turn in and continue up the drive way to the carpark and reception.
From Palermo Airport by car Take the A29 (E90) motorway towards Castelvetrano, where you should exit onto the SS 115, heading east towards Menfi and Agrigento. Follow the SS115 past Agrigento and Palma di Montechiaro and at KM 216 turn off left on the exit signposted for Campobello di Licata. Alter exiting the slip road take the second right turn almost immediately alter exiting and follow the directions as above. The very last kilometre of this journey is the most difficult because of the Jack of signage. If alter exiting the SS 115 you cannot find your way to the Mandranova, then cali your hosts on the numbers below and they will guide you home.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.